LEAD ON SURFACE
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has stated that “Lead poisoning is the number one environmental threat to the health of children in the United States” (Federal Register Vol. 59, NO. 46)
WHAT IS LEAD?
Lead is a heavy, soft, bluish metal that occurs naturally underneath the earth’s surface. Since it is virtually indestructible and non-biodegradable, manufacturers have used it to make many different products including paint, batteries, gasoline, pipes, and solder.
HOW DO YOU COME IN CONTACT WITH LEAD?
Although the use of lead-based paint (LBP) was banned in 1978, over 57 million homes still contain some lead according to HUD. Lead based paint can be on windows, doors, wood trim, walls, cabinets, porches, stairs, railings, fire escapes, old furniture (cribs), and even children’s toys. As LBP cracks and peels, paint chips are loosened and ingested by children.
Lead dust is the most common source of lead exposure. Moving parts of windows and doors create paint dust. Remodeling and renovations also create paint dust. When a LBP surface is sanded or scraped, it breaks down into tiny, sometimes invisible, fine particles that children swallow or inhale. Children often ingest lead dust by normal hand-mouth activity. Some other sources of lead are vinyl miniblinds, ceramics, dishes, toys, water and sewer pipes, solder, soil, lead crystal and drinking water.
WHAT CAN LEAD DO TO YOU?
It is estimated that more than 200,000 children in the United States contract lead poisoning each year. When inhaled or ingested, even in small amounts, lead can cause permanent damage to the brain, kidneys, and hearing, especially in children under 7 years old. Lead poisoning is not only a problem for children. In adults, low levels of lead exposure can cause, headaches, mood changes, sleep disturbances, a decrease in fertility (men), high blood pressure, digestive problems, nerve disorders, joint and muscle pain. High levels of lead exposure can cause intellectual disability, blindness, convulsions, comas, and even death. Lead can also cause problems in pregnancy and affect a baby’s normal development.
HOW DO YOU FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE A LEAD PROBLEM?
To find out if you have lead on any surface in your home or office, you must test. The PRO-LAB® Lead Surface Test Kit is the most accurate instant lead test kit available to the consumer. The NON-TOXIC chemically impregnated test pads, when moistened with water, provide the most effective and reliable results possible.
The test pads detect the presence of lead to as little as 5 parts per million.
PRO-LAB® Lead Test Kits are available to the general public at over 40,000 leading home centers, hardware stores, pharmacy chains, supermarkets, and a wide category of specialty outlets. Stores include The Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, Ace Hardware, True Value, Do It Best, Kroger, Fred Meyer, Giant Eagle, and CVS.
If you cannot find the PRO-LAB® Lead In Surface Test Kit in any of the stores above, please call 954-384-4446 to purchase.